Employment Authorization and Advance Parole FAQs

What is the I-765, I-131, and EAD/AP Combo Card?

I already have a valid visa that includes work and travel authorization. Why would I apply for the EAD/AP Combo Card?

Are my dependents included in I-765/I-131 filing?

What documents do I need to provide for the case(s)?

Will I be reviewing the Case Materials for the I-765/I-131?

Where are the I-765/I-131 cases filed?

Can I add Premium Processing to the I-765/I-131 filing? 

Where can I find a Receipt Number?

When will the Work (I-765)/Travel (I-131) be processed?

Can I travel while I am waiting for the I-765 and I-131 to be approved?

My I-765 and I-131 are expiring, what are the next steps?

What do I need to do now? 


What is the EAD/AP Combo Card?

Work (Form I-765) and Travel (Form I-131), sometimes known as an EAD/AP combo card, are options to take into consideration when applying for a green card. During the green card process, applicants can file for the EAD/AP combo card when filing for the Adjustment of Status based on the pending I-485.

What is the Employment Authorization Document (Form I-765/EAD)?

The Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Form I-765, grants temporary work authorization in the United States. Please note that if you do not have underlying work authorization, you cannot work until the EAD is approved.

What is the Advance Parole (Form I-131/AP)?

Advance Parole allows applicants to travel back to the U.S. without applying for a visa. A transportation company (airlines) can accept an Advance Parole document instead of a visa as proof that an individual is authorized to travel to the U.S. An Advance Parole document does not replace a passport, nor does it guarantee entry to the U.S.

The I-485 case in my account is titled ‘with Work and Travel’ – what does that mean?

Work (Form I-765) and Travel (Form I-131), sometimes known as an EAD/AP combo card, are options to take into consideration when applying for a green card. Cases that are titled ‘I-485 with Work and Travel’ confirms that the Form I-765 and Form I-131 have been bundled with the I-485 filing.

I already have a valid visa that includes work and travel authorization. Why would I apply for the EAD/AP Combo Card?

The legal team will generally recommend applying for the EAD/AP Combo Card, even for young applicants who may not be able to seek employment. The approval of the EAD/AP Combo Card can serve as back-up to an individual’s underlying status while the green card application is pending. For young applicants, the I-765 filing also allows them to get a Social Security Number.

Notably, when applicants apply for both the EAD and AP, applicants will receive the convenient EAD/AP Combo Card upon approval rather than having to carry a separate paper Advance Parole document.

For more information from USCIS on the benefits of the EAD/AP Combo Card: https://www.uscis.gov/archive/uscis-to-issue-employment-authorization-and-advance-parole-card-for-adjustment-of-status-applicants-0.

Is it required to open the I-765 and I-131?

It is not mandatory to open the I-765 and I-131 cases together or with the I-485. Based on your travel plans, the legal team will be able to advise if the I-765, I-131, or both filings are recommended via your Communication Center.

If you prefer to open the I-765 or the I-131 as a standalone case, Envoy Customer Experience will be able to assist you further. Please note that if you opt to proceed without Work and Travel on the I-485 case and decide to add it later, individual I-131 and I-765 cases must be opened in your Envoy account. Because these cases will not be part of the I-485 with Work/Travel bundle, additional case charges may apply from what was originally quoted to you.

Are my dependents included in I-765/I-131 filing?

If your dependents have a pending I-485, then they have the ability to file for any necessary EAD/AP Combo Card extensions. That said, each applicant requires separate I-765 and I-131 cases. Envoy Customer Experience can assist with opening any cases in your Envoy account.

What documents do I need to provide for the case(s)?

After the I-765 and I-131 cases are initiated in your Envoy account, you will need to complete the case Questionnaire and upload all documents that apply to you. Please see the list below for the general documents required upon case creation.

For more information on document intake: https://www.envoyglobal.com/faq-for-employees/employee-faq-documents/ 

  • Color Copy of Passport: Only the biographical page is required for this case.
  • I-797 Approval Notice(s): The legal team requires these to confirm your status, if you have them. If you have always filed for your status at a consulate, such as an L-1 Blanket filing, you may not have this document.
  • Form I-94: A CBP I-94 is issued to all foreign nationals upon entry to the US; the legal team will use the document(s) to confirm your status.
  • Visa Stamp: Issued at a consulate, this is a page within your passport which includes biographical details and a photo. The legal team generally does not require entry/exit stamps. Some individuals, like applicants from Canada, may not have a Visa Stamp.
  • I-485 Receipt Notice: If the I-485 case was not filed by the legal team in your Envoy account, please be sure to provide this document.
  • All Prior EAD card(s): An EAD card is an Employment Authorization Document (a.k.a. Form I-688B/I-766). It authorizes an individual to work while in the U.S. and is typically granted to those in F-1 student visa status or those in the final stage of their green card process.
  • Passport Photos: see below

Do I need to mail passport photos for the I-765/I-131 cases?

For every I-765 and I-131 filing, each applicant must provide two 2x2in passport photos. The legal team requires you to mail these photos to our office so they can be included in the finalized filing to USCIS. If the legal team is preparing both the I-765 and the I-131, they will require four (4) photos in total. Based on the cases opened in your account, please ensure you send the following:

  • Two (2) 2x2in passport photos for the I-765 case
  • Two (2) 2x2in passport photos for the I-131 case

If your dependents also have I-765 and I-131 cases, please send the necessary photos for each dependent applicant.

Note: If the I-131 and I-765 cases are being prepared at the same time as the I-485, please note that the I-485 filing also requires two passport photos. To confirm, if the I-485, I-765, and I-131 cases are being sent together, SIX (6) total passport photos will be needed for each applicant with these cases opened in your account. 

Please lightly print the person’s name and date of birth on the back of the photo with a pencil. When sending, we recommend using a service which provides tracking details, preferably FedEx or UPS as these carriers have been the most reliable in delivery. Please write/enter the office address as follows:

Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C.

Attn: Your Name + Envoy account number 

230 W. Monroe St. Suite 2800

Chicago, IL 60606

Our team in the office can generally process these items in a few business days. Once the photos have been processed, the passport photo placeholder will be marked as complete in the case.

Will I be reviewing the Case Materials for the I-765/I-131?

The primary applicant is responsible for reviewing the drafted I-765 and I-131 Case Materials. Generally, a G-28 is also needed; please know that if cases are being filed together, only one G-28 may be drafted on one of the cases. You will be notified as soon as these forms are available to you for review.

For more information on reviewing Case Materials: https://www.envoyglobal.com/faq-employee-users/employee-faq-case-materials/

What forms are typically needed within the I-765 and I-131 Case?

When the forms become available, the legal team will request that you review the content of the forms as well as provide scanned signatures for each form; we want you to be aware of this process so you can have the signed and scanned forms ready to go. These documents will be needed in order to approve/submit your changes for the drafted content.

Below is the general type of forms an applicant will be required to sign; if work and travel have been added to an I-485 case, please refer to the I-485 FAQ page linked here: https://www.envoyglobal.com/faq-employee-users/i-485-adjustment-of-status/#case-materials

  • G-28 form signature
  • I-765 form signature
  • I-131 form signature

For more information on reviewing the forms, alternative instructions on printing/scanning these pages, as well as general details on the Case Materials process: https://www.envoyglobal.com/faq-employee-users/employee-faq-case-materials/

Where are the I-765/I-131 cases filed?

After the I-765 and I-131 cases are finalized, the legal team will send them to USCIS with an overnight shipping label, and they will upload the tracking information in the Case Overview section. You will be able to track the package by clicking on the tracking number on the case.

For more information on USCIS processing times: https://www.envoyglobal.com/faq-employee-users/employee-faq-case-status/#uscisprocessingtimes

Can I add Premium Processing to the I-765/I-131 filing?

Premium Processing is not available for I-765 or I-131 filings at this time. A comprehensive list of eligible filings and information on Premium Processing can be found here: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/how-do-i-request-premium-processing.

The only stage of the green card process eligible for Premium Processing is an eligible I-140.

Where can I find a Receipt Number?

After the legal team receives and processes the I-797 Receipt Notice in the office, then the team working on the case will update it, and you will receive an email with the Receipt Number. That number will also be available in the Case Details section for your reference with a link to the USCIS website to check the status of the case.

When will the Work (I-765)/Travel (I-131) be processed?

Processing times for any filing with USCIS, including the I-765 and I-131, will vary based on the Service Center where the case is being processed and the current caseload of USCIS. On average, USCIS is currently reporting processing times of about 6-7 months for I-765 and I-131 filings based on a pending I-485. After we have the Receipt Number for the case, you will be able to confirm the USCIS Service Center to check the specific processing times for you (or your family members’) filings.

For more information on checking USCIS processing times: https://www.envoyglobal.com/faq-employee-users/employee-faq-case-status/#uscisprocessingtimes

Can I travel while I am waiting for the I-765 and I-131 to be approved?

For any international travel plans, you should always post to your Communication Center to notify the legal team, and they will advise on whether travel is recommended and on anything else you should know. Please always provide as much detail as possible, such as any anticipated travel dates, your destination(s), and the purpose of your travel.

**Important note on international travel if a case includes the I-131 / Travel** 

Applicants on H and L status: 

Applicants on any other status ( TN, E, F, O, etc): 

You should not plan to travel internationally while an initial I-131 for Travel Authorization is pending. If you do choose to travel, the I-131 request for travel authorization will likely be denied.  While the I-131 denial itself will not impact the processing of your I-485 application for the green card, you should be aware of this riskYou would still be able to re-enter the United States using your H or L visa while your I-485 case is in process. If you do not hold an H or L status, you MUST remain inside of the U.S. until your I-131 and I-765 have been approved and you have received your Advance Parole document. If an individual who is in a classification other than H-1B, H-4, L-1, or L-2 departs the U.S. after filing the I-485 and before the I-131 is approved, the I-485 application will be denied and you may be refused re-entry to the U.S. 
For all applicants, if you have an I-485 case which includes Travel or have an I-131 case in your Envoy account, post to your Communication Center if you do have travel planned that you cannot avoid as soon as possible. 

My I-765 and I-131 are expiring, what are the next steps? 

If the I-485 case in your Envoy account is pending with USCIS, and the EAD/AP Combo Card is expiring, please contact the legal team in your Communication Center if you have any questions on whether a renewal is needed.

If you know you would like to open extension cases, Envoy Customer Experience will be able to assist with opening any renewal cases in your Envoy account. Please contact the team at customerexperience@envoyglobal.com.

What do I need to do now?

Please log into your Envoy account (app.envoyglobal.com) to review open cases and see if any action is required. Envoy Customer Experience can also assist you with any questions you may have. Some common actions needed may include: