EAD Cards: Tips for Hiring Workers With Employment Authorization Documents

  • EAD cards are temporary.
  • There are over 40 EAD card eligibility options.
  • Renewal applications should be submitted no more than 120 days before expiration.

EAD cards, also known as employment authorization documents, are a term recruiters and HR professionals come across often. Many times people aren’t sure whether or not they provide sufficient work authorization. The short answer is “yes.” EAD cardholders do not require employer sponsorship to work, as they are independently eligible for work authorization.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has over 40 categories for U.S. EAD eligibility.

Examples of these categories include:

  • Green card applicants who have a pending Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • Spouses of certain employment-based nonimmigrant visa holders (e.g., E-1, E-2, select H-1B)
  • F-1 students taking part in an Optional Practical Training program
  • Individuals eligible for Deferred Action
  • K-1 Fiance visa holders
  • Citizens of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands and Palau
  • Refugees
  • Asylees

It’s important that both employers and employees understand the purpose and limitations of the card. EAD cards are temporary work permits. The EAD cardholder should be aware of the card’s expiration date and initiate the process to renew the EAD card well before that date, since one must have the new card in-hand in order to continue working.

USCIS allows the renewal application to be submitted no sooner than 120 days before the original expiration date. Once the applicant is hired, an I-9 must be completed in order to verify the applicant’s identity and work authorization. If the employee presents the card for the I-9, this serves as a List A document and no further documentation is needed. Section 3 (Reverification) of the I-9 should then be completed whenever a renewed card is obtained. This card is not a green card, and should not be confused with permanent work authorization.

For more information on employment authorization documents, contact us or visit USCIS.

Continue Reading

Public Access Files
Public Access Files to LCAs: Your Top Compliance Questions Answered
Jun 12, 2017 | Britni Sehgal

How long do I need do keep public access files? What do I do

Read More
Form I-9
Form I-9 Compliance and the Importance of Self-Audits
Jun 7, 2017 | Britni Sehgal

Immigration compliance is a complicated and nuanced issue with vast requirements for employers to

Read More
Work permits
Work Permits and Business Travel Requirements
Jun 2, 2017 | Britni Sehgal

Short-term business travel and understanding which work permits to obtain can be a gray

Read More