Envoy's Immigration Services for Canada

For companies sending employees to work in Canada, Envoy’s global team can help determine which visa or work permit is needed, what documents are required and track and manage all deadlines and case statuses.

Types of Visas and Work Permits

  • Business visitor, work permit exempt
  • USMCA Professional Work Permit
  • Intra-Company Transfer Permit
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment based Work (LMIA)
  • Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA)
  • Open Work Permit

Processes and requirements vary and sometimes include biometrics. To learn more about the different types of Canadian visas and work permits, and to see which one is the best fit for your employees, download our Canada fact sheet or click below to set up a consultation.

Working in Canada

Most foreign nationals will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada for short-term travel lasting less than six months. American citizens do not require a visa or an eTA for short-term business-entry.

Most foreign nationals who want to work in Canada for six months or more require a visa or work permit. The most common work permit is the Employer-Specific Work Permit. In some cases, an employer must obtain a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to demonstrate a need for the foreign worker before they can submit a work permit application. If a visa is required, foreign nationals must apply at the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in their home country.

All visitors entering Canada are screened by the Canada Border Security Agency (CBSA) and may be questioned extensively about why they are entering the country and how long they anticipate staying.

Thousands of companies rely on Envoy to solve their immigration challenges.